brain farts...flotsam...driftwood...and meanderings on hedonistic endevours

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Cooking

Every day I wonder about our distant nature towards food. Part of our escape from America was due to the lack of contact or care for what we put in us. Moving to Spain, I hoped to find a new perspective on our most basic need.

Last night I made a chicken. I rubbed it with dried thyme, some garlic, salt, pepper and lots of butter. Putting it in the oven I waited an hour and took it out cut it up and served it on a simple platter. Served with a mushroom risotto and steamed broccoli drizzled with good olive oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Basically a Betty Crocker dream meal.

When I served it to our group our American roommate made the comment, "How did you make it taste so good? If I did this it wouldn't be the same." Different is nice too. There was just enough food left in the end, for our late arriving roommate.

Shouldn’t food always be this way?

To drink we had a simple Albariño wine from the northwest of Spain. Light and crisp with fresh fruit and a playful nature, the wine paired perfect with our communion. For dessert, yogurt, a strange but favorite after dinner treat of La Familia (our pet name for ourselves).

I'm not sure if it’s the fact that we eat together almost every night or if it’s just being in Spain, but meals have become fun again. We don't always make it to the “good” market to buy the best vegetables. Somedays we just throw 2 or 3 leftovers together creating something of old rice, steamed vegetables and random hunks of sausage. It always tastes good. Not to mention we laugh together, learn a bit, and always sit together.

Without our families in America, or language we can speak, or our cats to pet, it's been hard. I'm glad we have this, simple, basic and priceless. Time to see what's in the fridge...

till soon, Ryan

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan, The chicken sounds good and the risotto even better! Did you use the "lazy man" oven method or the labor intensive stovetop stir method?

Food should always be nourishing, not only for the body, but for the mind as well. For me, cooking is one way to show my love for Tami, my friends, and for myself. We have had this discussion before. There is nothing better than sharing a table filled with friends, good food and wine, and stimulating conversation.

Speaking of good food, have you done any grilling with planks? I made planked salmon on the grill the other night and it was fabulous. Marinated the organically fed salmon in sherry, soy sauce and french mustand with garlic. Served with great salad and homemade dressing (used aoli and mustard with EVOO, balsamic and chateauneuf du pape vinegars). One of my best efforts. Anyway, I don't know if you have access to a grill, but it was great to have some smoky food.

While I'm on the subject, we got a big snowfall last night and Tami came home early from work and made a spaghetti sauce with her own meatballs. I LOVE FENNEL! I made some fettucini and we sat by the fire. I drank one of Borrasca's you sold me and your description is pretty accurate. Big, big wine (14.5 %) great rich, deep beam of fruit running down the center of the tongue. A bit rustic around the edges. It was great with the meatballs and slowly simmered tomato sauce.

By the way, the Gophers made the NCAA tournament but lost to Iowa State. Boo-hoo. When does Real Madrid start their season?

BB

3/19/2005 06:24:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home