brain farts...flotsam...driftwood...and meanderings on hedonistic endevours

Friday, February 11, 2005

Not much to report

Yet, I´ve been here for about 3 days I already think I´m going to like it though I´ve realized that it´s not going to be easy. I forgot how big the challenges of language are. Oh well, at least I know the word for Sherry, and boy am I glad. It´s so different when it´s fresh, though I can´t wait to get to Jerez to have some really fresh stuff I really like what I¨ve had so far. Crisp, fruity, dry, and a nice rich backbone of nuttiness, this with some fresh olives, that seam to make the sherry come alive. The other day I had Warm octopus, Jamon(not sure what kind, though it was slightly salty with a rich sweetness and creamy texture, and to round it out a glass(or 3) of a Manzanilla!!! Wow, I´ll post poictures when I get a chance but I tell you it´s a great thing, all the ham around here is amazing. Every kind and in every way! What else have I had? Oh some yummy paella, the first night I was here, rich, with big prawns, squid, and clams, with the richest rice I´ve had to date. Filled with saffron, and accompanied by a Rosado(rose) wine from Torres, amazing and thus making it hard not to eat 6 or 7 times a day just to get a chance ot try it all. So far I´ve had 3-4 new beers, and a bunch of wine. I´ll post the names later but one red was a Tempranillo, Moverdre, Grenache blend, that was lighter than expected but had that same meaty richness you look for in a modified rhone blend. Also had a Airen, the most widely planted grape on the planet, most often it is blended or distilled for brandy, yet with modern techniques it is proving an nice crisp table wine. Temp controlled fermentation allows for this easily oxidized grape to stay alive when fermented. The nose was light white flowers, followed by a delicate nut quality, almost hazelnut like. I´ve got to make sure to explore this avenue more in the future. This weekend it´s off to Toledo to see what they have to offer and then next week I´m deciding between Cadiz or maybe the Duoro to make some contacts with friends in the wine industry. We´ll see what happens, till soon, ryan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home