brain farts...flotsam...driftwood...and meanderings on hedonistic endevours

Monday, August 30, 2004

Saturday driving

Saturday

Woke up at 7 got torn down and took a quick shower. Got on the road by 7:20 and headed out, beautiful drive with plenty of lookouts on the archipelago that led to mainland. Didn’t stop for breakfast till 10 in a small town, I was about the only customer and got friendly service, learning that peameal bacon is actually Canadian bacon! Then off I went and arrived at the border at 12, naturally my nerves started to kick in as I tried to convince myself that I had nothing to worry about. Sure enough for some reason I didn’t though the man at the gate also didn’t understand how someone would like to take a trip alone. Oh well, no stop short line and empty bladder. The tourist station though seemed to be a little confused about mileage leading me to believe that everything was too far away to get to tonight. Thank god they were wrong and now I sit in a cheap motel in Marquette, a place that the last time I was here it was to get on my Grandparents sail boat and finish up their trip with them. It’s welcome back time and there is a fair going on near the water front, and in the end this means well not much. I found the local brewpub and had a nice meal, which led to an interesting incident. I had asked for paper to take notes on about their beers which led to curious looks towards me as I analytically wrote two pages on their 6 beers. All in all solid beers if not lacking in some originality. Anyways I kept asking questions about an internet café, and interesting liquor stores and my waitress kept calling me “Sir”, finally producing a wine list as I finished my meal. Now comes the incredible part, they had a short but very eclectic wine list with prices I that made me consider staying till close just to taste some things at the ridiculous prices. Insignia, at my store $124+/- a ’95 there was $85, a 2000 Guigal Hermitage, hard to get and pricey, $25. I almost asked to buy some just to have them pop the corks and let me walk with them. By the way the ribs were decent, and I left with half a rack for back at the room. After a quick tour of the local liquor stores, where I found some gems but really not much too interesting, I headed back to the room to catch up on my log. Good Will Hunting, some fine beers and I closed the door on the last night alone. Here I come “G”!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home