brain farts...flotsam...driftwood...and meanderings on hedonistic endevours

Friday, August 27, 2004

Traveling and a Ferry

Got up Thursday and headed out after taking down the tent, I was planning just to grab some food on the road. Headed north, had enough of the Toronto area and while I could spend another day in Toronto having a good time it might cost me more than I want to spend. So to Tobymore I headed, which was a nice drive though I learned one thing, just because a road goes east to west on a map, doesn’t mean the road goes east to west, short sections are not the whole so I ended up missing one turn off, not bad though until I missed another. Oh well it wasn’t too far out of my way and I got to see a small little town that seemed nice though I had places to be. Got up to Tobymore around 12:30 and found the “?” station right away, a first! They were helpful though my main concern was the ferry I was to take. So they told me of some nice trails and a good campsite and I went to see if I needed a reservation. Now the problems start, the ferries are 4 per day, and the middle two are $20 more because they are “convenience” ferries. UGH, and the first ferry was at 7am and I would be camping an half hour away, and need to arrive by 5 or so…soooo I decided I must leave, well I thought at that point if I caught the late one I would have time for a hike so I headed up to the “?” again to find out when I needed to be down at the ferry and to try to book a campsite since I’d be arriving after dark. Did I mention at the ferry no one was helpful nor did their phones work. So the Nice lady at the “?” told me I had to call a place that had a 1-800 number which pretty much eliminated the quaint locations, Oh and that I had to be in line by 4pm to make it on to the ferry at 8pm! So it was 2pm at the time and I quick booked a site, and then headed off to a ½ hour hike each way with a half hour drive out and back, in hopes to seeing something fun. Well off I go and find the trail, 7.50 Canadian to park and hike I do. It’s a gorgeous trail all Juniper trees and lakes, finally I reach the “lookout point”, Wow it was amazing, except for all the screaming kids in swimsuits running about and the boats and the well anyways it wasn’t what I was hoping for. So I headed back, got to car, rushed for the docks, and at 3:45 the ferry was being loaded! So I thought just in the nick of time before it all fills up! WRONG! It then took an ½ hour to wait for the ticket taker to return and then I thought here’s where the rush comes, WRONG again, no rush, in fact I could have made it on at 7:25pm…Oh well, I wandered around the 2 streets of Tobymore and got some fish and chips and some wine and some beer and some coffee and some liqourice and posted a bit and well 4 hours is longer than I thought! But On I got, just under the wire, the bonus was if I had hopped on the earlier one like I think I should have I might have missed one of the most beautiful sunsets from the deck of the ferry. On the ferry it was another story, I happened upon two guys doing some biking, who took me for a friendly and I for them, so we chatted and wandered about and exchanged ideas on how to save the world, in the end a great time as we watched the moon rise over lake Huron. Southport, I know little about other than the sprint off the ferry and towards everyone’s destinations, let me say this, it’s had to drive in the dark and find a location you know nothing about without, DECENT SIGNS! I missed a turn to my location and ended up at the town dump, which is closed I found out, not sure where people will take their stuff now. Oh well got in and the two guys who followed me ended up there too trying to get in. Providence Bay Park, unless you have a mini trailer, van, or are a member of one of the white trash tribes of the north is not for you. I therefore felt very welcome, well sort of, everyone is mainly keeping to themselves, and talking loudly which sounds a bit like this: “Hey, ya wanna hand me a beer, eh!(not joking)” 8am “yeah sure but you owe me, eh! (no this is “for real”). I drank a beer, read a book and headed to bed! Can’t wait to see what’s in for me tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home